Thursday, November 6, 2008

Practice

So I have been doing my Qi Kung practice for over a year now. Every morning for 15 minutes. This is the longest and best devotion i have given to a practice yet; and the rewards are overwhelming and obvious and completely worth the effort of the routine. And the kicker, is that I don't even know the whole cycle yet.
The particular set of exercises I am working with is called the 18 Lohan Hands. I learned 8 of them before leaving Gainesville, from the best sifu I've yet worked with, Anthony. I was sorry to have to leave in the middle of the set, but it hasn't stopped me from gaining a benefit; although I am now feeling somewhat lopsided or not well-rounded so I am thinking it is time to find a way to learn the rest of the set.

A couple of weeks ago I added a simple meditation to my routine in the mornings, shooting for 15 minutes of motionless. I experimented with different postures - doing the Qi Kung Tree posture, relaxed standing, chair sitting, etc. - but ended up back at the sitting zazen pose on two pillows. After feeling ease in the posture for 15 I started experimenting with the most suspension of motionlessness I could find, even to the point of not blinking, but that proved to be too much twitching motion. So I settled into closed eyes or half-open resting lids with relaxed blinking. The ease of settling into no-moving comes quickly for me as I relax into a Chi-breathing state of mind so that my breath is the bellows for all movement in my fleshbag.

From that I have proceeded to grow the sitting meditation into a full half hour. Thus far my favorite way of monitoring the time (since I have decided to not have a clock in my bedroom) is to listen to Fahrenheit Fair Enough, by Telephone Tel Aviv. I listen to it 4 times plus one verse to get to 30. Its a beautiful, melodic instrumental that also sounds as if it is reorganizing something mechanical, or squarish, in the background; perfect cleaning routine for the Mindlab.

7 comments:

Phreelosophy said...

that's really remarkable, over a year?!? I think I will use you as inspiration. Quick question: how do you stay on task on the mornings when you are a) hung over; b) at someone's house with little privacy? Seems like one of those repeatedly derils me and before I know it I'm back to spradic practice at best, feeling guilty and gutless.
Glad you're enjoying Telefon Telaviv. :)

iurodivii said...

Hung over? HA!! Look a few posts down. I was chi-ing all over the place, headstands and all. No really though, just saying "I'm gonna take 15 minutes for my qi kung" to whoever or occasionally wait to do it before bed that night.
Its all about making it the starting point of each day. Its so much better than coffee.

Phreelosophy said...

Sounds simple enough, but only because you make it sound so... Not to gush, but really, you trully are an uniquely talented person and I have tons of respect for who you are and how you live your life.
I'll keep you posted... Keep on!

Paul said...

sometimes, if i'm not the first to get out of bed in the morning and beat my wife, daughter and son into the bathroom, i have to wait fifteen minutes before i get to use the toilet. during this time, i hop back and forth from one foot to the other. it's not calming, exactly, but it seems to work for me.

p.s. sorry i don't have a fancy username. i'll think on it and come up with something better.

iurodivii said...

Sounds only slightly less enlightening than when the Master Monks in zen temples would whack the novitiates with bamboo if they slouched during the hours of motionless sitting.

(and its not a fancy username, its a place of mind; and besides you have an enigmatic picture, i'm like 'which parts are paul?')

exitwound said...

I am in awe of your dedication. In my life there is nothing that holds me in any way. I don't focus--it makes me feel out of focus. You fascinate me because you are so grounded.

Come back soon.
Peace~

iurodivii said...

Dear exitwound, your words are kind.
Who and/or where are you that i may come back there someday (soon)?
And this statement made me laugh "you are so grounded." Thanks.