Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Financier

I have been working on my metamorphosis into The Financier, and in doing so I have been getting to see my contrarian nature shining through. In the land of the freaky side of freedom, my bandannas and slipshod have been sinking - as if being beckoned back underconscious after wandering past their necessary bounds. My mind is bubbling like a wet mogwai and out of the muck is arising the keen and dapper logician. The change in outward attitude of people towards me is affirming of my intents; dressed as this


receives a
very different
reaction than this








where people (keep in mind this is societally and culturally dependent) are more apt to engage on a particular level of manners to you, depending on their perceived class relation to yours. For instance, in the bandanna, etc. the Nascar fan at the mall doesn't look at me twice and expects me to step out of his way, which I must as he is larger and will probably hurt me with impact. But in the professional get-up he doesn't look me in the eye once and is nudging against his girlfriend to leave me the slight room I need to pass.


But I have known this, and tried to use it to my advantage in all circumstances (that I care a whit about). Its been an age old dilemma of mine having to gauge whether going covert and using disguises to accomplish a mission (like getting into a Masters in Finance program with an undergrad degree in Invironment) is the more likely to succeed,











Or if the situation calls for the full-frontal assault.














Either way I can oblige.

As for the recent past, I had no interest in keeping score. I had had enough of the numbers business and the way they often try to define value. But now I am feeling a bit more competitive, ready to jump back into the fray. And what a fray the economy is! I wonder if it isn't that giving me the most interest, to see something from the inside when it is not working, as opposed to bandwagoning to the top of the Dow with the rest of the would be capitoligarchs.

4 comments:

Phreelosophy said...

Wow.. the shapeshifting economist heh? Interesting peek into your strategic mind. However you go about it... best of luck as always.

Oh yeah, now that we are 'grown' enough to recognize that the 'game' will always be part of social life, do you still despise its existence (assuming that at some point in the past you did)?

Fred Mephisto said...

I have been using the phrase "impression management" about this. The term arose during college when walking around dodgy blocks downtown I started cultivating the "do not approach me on the street" glamour I continue to value. I think everyone does this sortof thing with varying degrees of skill, willingness, awareness, depth, and honesty.

You got the knack though. Just don't be so sure which part is actually "you"

Of course from here we can go into fun ideas of "doing" schizophrenia on purpose. Or maybe that "identity" doesn't exist at all and "I" am some congress of identities who have specialized environments within which they exist.

Anonymous said...

Have you ever read the works of Shan Yu? Fancied himself quite the warrior poet. Wrote volumes on war, torture... the limits of human endurance. He said "live with a man 40 years, share his house, his meals, speak on every subject. Then tie him up and hold him over the volcano's edge. And on that day you will finally meet the man."

Got a volcano?

iurodivii said...

Phreelosophy - Economist?! Ha! I have more skills than making up stories about money's movements. I move money.
And the game...knowing its a game has grown me to playing it.

fred mephisto - I like that phrase, why have you not shared it until now? You and nattyb have the best of the 'do not approach me on the street' vibe i've seen. And I agree there are a variety of costuming reasons and methods. I have a limited few, but have grown in perspective to know how to add more...though most things I could need are probably findable somewhere between Mindlab and the Financier.

I am me!

And that last paragraph I am not going there, not on purpose anyhow!

nattyb - never heard of Shang Yu. But I have a feeling that riding Ecuadorian sharks is closer to the volcano than not


All in all the continual focus is the challenge.