Thursday, July 31, 2008

Frankenpants

After we dried off we made it to dinner where Capitan said "you know, its gonna be a cold night in these shorts I made today." To which I replied, "we should get some whisky, needle and thread and and go to the park in the middle of town and sit down to let me watch you sew," (from my perspective this turned out to be a most brilliant idea). We spent the rest of dinner trying to learn the words for needle and thread. We procured the prementioned items with little resistance and got the pant legs out of the trash from the room and headed to the fountain in the square.

The amount of laughter that came out of my mouth over the next hour of sitting by El Capitan and cheering him on in trying to sew his pant legs back on, was likely in some way proportional to the amount of Clan Macgregor (proceed with caution) that went into my mouth. But that would be to simplify things, and the method of sewing El Capitan was inventing began with the words "you know, I planned on sewing back in the room, because then I wouldn't have to sew these legs back on..."
"Heavens, don't sew your legs!"
"...while i'm not wearing the damn things."



A note on this second picture, I did not purposefully put the bubbles in the shot I like to call Bubbleworld. The camera elves did that with a perfect eye for detail, because if it makes you think of faeries dancing about to cast a spell, or fizzy lifting drinks, then you are on the right track.


While this was going on, people were strolling by and we got three reactions. One was to look away as if some poor chap sewing his pants together was a disgrace; the second was for people to take a double-take and see that, yes, he is sewing his pants together, and laugh their fool heads off, this we counted as a success; and then folks of our age and nothing better to do would stop by to talk, and share a drink. I had to continually turn away a swig of puntas from the Licoria store owner's son. He kept trying to invite us to his place because there was going to be chicas, but we had to point out that El Capitan needed to sew his pants together and wasn't in any shape to go anywhere until that was completed. They taught us the Mindo handshake before they left - a right handed slap, then a fist punch (to the other's fist, jeez).

"Sewing underneath my legs is the worst, i'm just gonna go with it and hope it holds."[Frankenpants]

You will notice in the shot called Frankenpants that he did not bother to line up his right leg in such a way that the tear away above the boot is actually from years of that heel stepping on what used to be the back of the pants. I can't finish the Frankenpants until I mention that not 5 minutes later one leg tore off very quickly. We stopped in front of a bar and he re-did it in a matter of minutes, being a professional on-body sewer at this point. A few kids came by to laugh and we exchanged the Mindo handshake which impressed them. After laughing at El Capitan and his pantalones, to which each time El Capitan replied "earlier today I needed shorts, but now I need pants," they inquired about the Mindfold. But weren't much interested beyond the sleep mask aspect. Some people just don't get It.

But we do.
We went to second dinner at Out of Babylon, again. We got there and it was totally dark so we asked the folks outside if the restaurant was open (and most whenever I say We did something involving the Spanish language, that means El Capitan did, or he forced me to stand up for myself and butcher a simple sentence); and they said of course, it was just that the power was out and we'd have to eat by candlelight if that was alright. I said in English "alright? we don't need any light at all," and I slid the Mindfold down over my eyes with a straight face.
The next pictures are of a game in which we 'Mindfinded the scotch.' The ingredients you need for this are 1)Mindfold 2)Scotch 3)a restuarant that doesn't mind you bringing your own scotch in 4)candlelight for the mood and photo ops. This was a basic game where the Seer takes a glass of scotch and places to the right or left in front of the Mindfolder who then uses whatever technique they find appropriate to take their guess by reaching their right or left hand out for the drink. If they are correct and find the drink, they get a sip, if incorrect, the Seer receives the sip. We played a good 10 rounds and each of us had better than 50% success, thanks, quite possibly, to my faulty memory. We also were able to enlist our server for a round and he got it right, and took the entire 2oz shot instead of a sip, because we forgot to tell him that part of the rules.
Here is me with my challenge laid before me.














Ohhh i'm wrong.













Here is El Capitan with his challenge laid before him.













Success!!














We then went to the bridge for a final toast to Mindo, and here is mainstreet Mindo at midnight

2 comments:

Phreelosophy said...

Hillarious!!! The Frankenpants have to be the funnies thing I've hear/read/seen in a long while... wow. Great pics too. Keep on chronicling.

Phil R. said...

fucking hilarious.

...though the elegant solution to Frankenpants is to sew on a zipper or velcro to either side so that the legs are removable.

or just pack some shorts.

i'm thoroughly enjoying your updates. keep em coming.